I really like doing holiday and seasonal sensory bins for Jack. He loves to dig and scoop the material, bury animals in it and smush his fingers around in it. I try to make it seasonal appropriate, with different colors and different objects.
Want to make your own St. Patrick's Day Sensory Bin?
Here's what you need:
- white navy beans (I used 2 bags)
- dried split peas (2 bags)
- gold plastic coins
- snakes (legend says St. Patrick chased the snakes out of Ireland - read up on it here)
- green & orange objects (I used several plastic animals)
- scoops, rakes, small bowls, spoons (if you are Jack, you just run for your dump truck and digger)
- and of course a bin to put it all in
Dump your beans & peas into the bin (and if you are OCD like me, you'll make it all pretty with stripes) and then add the objects.
Activities/games you can do with this bin:
- Name the objects and animals. What does froggy say? Where does the fishy live?
- Collect all the green objects, bury them and then find them.
- Use the scoops to fill a small bowl with beans
- Play I Spy
- Scoop up some beans and then pour them out on an overturned bowl and listen to the sound. Is it loud or soft? Can you feel the vibration?
I hope you have fun with your kiddo and their sensory bin! I know Jack loves his :)